Happy Thursday babes! And in the land of all things glossy, that means one thing: Review Day! Just warning that this post is a tad longer than I would normally go, but I have a lot to say about this one!
This week I tried out Rimmel’s Lasting Finish Kiss & Stay Lip Gloss, and I have to tell ya right off the bat that I was driven crazy from the moment I bought it (well, the first one at least!). Now, before I scare you all off, let me back up for a minute. Sometimes when I am trying to decide on a product, I’ll browse around a store or two. But this time, I knew exactly what I wanted to try and exactly what color I wanted to try. I picked up Dream On, a light brown-ish base color with a slightly glittery top coat at Target for $6.49.
I got it home, ripped off the wrapping like I normally do, and plopped my butt down in from of my makeup mirror to begin test. The tube is dual sided, with the base color and applicator on one side and the glossy top coat and brush on the other. The base coat felt a tad thick going on, and had a nice slight mocha scent.
Now babes, here is where you have to pay attention! The directions say to apply the base coat and let it dry for two minutes. You have to! I know it may be hard; I am not the most patient of glossbabes, but trust me, let it dry! Once it does, you barely notice it’s there. You also have to pay a little attention when you are putting it on and be sure to wipe away any stray areas before it dries, cause once it does, it is ON all day! Then apply the top coat and wait to see how it makes the color POP!
I have to say, I was staring at my own lips in the mirror for about 5 minutes and couldn’t believe just how hot they looked! The color lasts all day, and I mean all day. You will, of course want to reapply the top coat a couple times during the course of the day, but you won’t believe how much staying power the base coat has! Love it! It’s not heavy or thick and doesn’t dry out your lips the way other all day sticks can. I was quite surprised how light it feels for how much color it packs. The top coat also lasted much longer than I thought it would, even through coffee and breakfast.
So after I saw how good it made my lips look, the obsession set it. What would the other colors look like (there are 12 to choose from). Could I find the perfect red for my big night Saturday night (glossgirl is headed to see Lady Gaga!!!! But, don’t get me started down that path right now). Could I find a nice natural pink for running around on the weekend? When all was said and done, I would up buying three more, First Kiss (very PINK, and I mean VERY. I mean ’80s bubble gum pink. So much so that I actually asked Walgreen’s if I could return it for another color and they said yes. Props to Walgreens for being so nice about it), Lasting Passion (which is a nice mauve with a slightly pink top coat), and Lustrous Nude (natural lip tone with a similar top coat). The first one I bought at Target for $6.49 and and the others at Walgreens for $7.99 – so check your prices! But really, either way, I though the price was right. Especially when I want to try all of them!
Now for the cons. There are a couple, but if you can live with them and work around them, this one is definitely a keeper.
- The colors are DARK. They are much darker than they look in the package. A couple I would even say are too dark for the office (but if that is the look you are going for, depending on what you do, go for it!). But, on the flip side, they are great for going out on the town or for that hot date…
- The base coat does not come off easily. It doesn’t wipe off. It doesn’t come off easily with soap either. It does however, come off well with baby oil. You can easily rub too hard an irritate your skin, so be careful!
- You have to practice a little with the base color. You need to make sure that it is evenly coated on your lips, and that takes a minute or two to make sure you didn’t miss any spots.
- Although I tried 4 of the 12 colors, I thought some of them looked too similar to each other. Now, this is probably hard to tell, but it may present a difficult choice between two shades that look close to each other.
- Don’t even attempt to wear the base coat by itself. It definitely needs the top coat. I did try other brands of gloss over the base, but the two that come together are definitely made to work together for the best look.
- Of all four I tested, one of them (a mix of Lasting Passion and Lustrous Nude, not sure if the mixing was a factor), ended up on my teeth. I had to keep checking on my drive into the office. Again, you need to let it dry! I think that might have had something to do with it…
All in all, I loved this product. Towards the end of the week, I actually started testing half of one color with half of another. The top coat can also be worn on its own, which is a plus. Two looks in one! How can you beat that, babes?
In my book, Rimmel Lasting Finish Kiss & Stay Lip Gloss gets four out of five smacks…
great and glossable!
And I just may have to go back for the red, red, red for Saturday night! Gotta be prepared for the Paparazzi, to Just Dance, and to find a Bad Romance… hee hee.
smooches & smacks,
Originally published 1/14/10.